Exploring Different Styles

I wanted to try copying and doodling some heads using styles from other artists. I'm not settled on how I want my graphic novel to look, but I've definitely got a direction as should become pretty obvious looking at the examples below. Styles that have clean lines, minimal colour gradients, basic shapes, simplified forms, and basic shading appeal to me and are all things I want to incorporate into my style when I design characters for my book. I had fun doodling through the various references below!

Adventure Time is one of my favourite shows and the clean linework, simple colours really appeal. Faces are also very simplified - the eyes especially.


Andrew McClean has some nice linework reminiscent of Mike Mignola's Hellboy. I like the simple forms and shape with detail added on top.


Anthony Holden has a unique style that is sort of anime and sort of cartoon. I really dig it, and it all looks so adorable!


Hilda by Luke Pearson is another inspiration. I really like the look it got when it transitioned to being animated on Netflix.


Stephen Universe has such great character designs. One head is just a sphere in a box - that's awesome and also much easier to visualize in imaginary 3D space.


Varguy has some beautiful artwork. His linework is simple and a clean, but also has a loose quality to them. I feel like the colour choices combined with his linework make his pieces stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment