Hypnotic Octopus over Shipwrecks - Process

Here is the final piece I'm making in this series of hypnotic octopuses. I've been trying to make them all very different while maintaining the central theme of the spiral like octopus in the middle. This time there are no fish around, but instead there are a few divers and their submersible lighting up the ocean floor. The large octopus is close, and so is the graveyard of ships that stretch out behind it. I went through pretty much the same process to create this one, but it's cool to share the steps from nothing to something.

It all starts with the idea. I've already had the idea for the hypnotic octopus, but I still needed to create the rest of the piece as well! I decided to go with shipwrecks because I though it would fit the them and look cool.



Here are some of the main references I used for this piece. All were important because I really didn't know how the diving suit would look, or a submersible, or a shipwreck! I had a feeling of what a shipwreck would look like, but I never would have got the shapes and details right without the reference.



Layout sketch always gets a few passes before it is turned into some nicer linework for me to work with.



Colours, the bane of my existence. I knew I wanted the background dark and the graveyard of ships to recede into the darkness. Also, I knew the submersible was going to be casting a bright light on the ships and divers closest. My wife helped me refine the colour choice to what ended up in the final piece.


Finally, here is the result of all that work!
I managed to this finish this piece fastest of all which surprised me because of how complex it is. There were numerous passes with different copic markers to get the colours I wanted as well. I think that just shows how the more you do something the better and faster you can get at it. I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. On to a new piece - I've got some ideas ;) Thanks for looking!

If you're interested in a poster print of this piece check out the link below, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment