Hands - Little Arm Noodles

This has been a long time in the works. Life - it gets busy. I started these hand studies ages ago, like months ago, and I've finally managed to do enough to satisfy myself for now and move on. Being a parent in addition to having a full time job demands a lot of time and energy. It doesn't leave much room for drawing. BUT! I'm not going to give up, and I'll continue at whatever pace I can manage.

First, I had to finish up the last bit of these arm studies. Again, I'm using Michael Hampton's methodology from his book to construct these. Arms can be kind of confusing with all the different muscles wrapping around the form. Understanding how the bones in the forearm twist is also important.

Here's some hand studies using Michael Hampton again. It's a little brief in the book for something that so many people struggle with - including me. There are some helpful tips and imagining of the form, but I wanted to go a little further so I've also looked at additional resources.

Found a slew of helpful hand tip drawings - only one problem, they're not in english! It's alright though, they're drawn in such a way that it's pretty easy to understand the point each tip is getting across. Simple proportions to memorize, the way things bend, how to simplify etc. This was great practice.

Lastly, I took some screenshots from Owl House, a show I'm really enjoying by the way, and cropped out the hands. I'm really interested in how the hands get simplified, and I really like this style of hand drawing. So, I tried to study some of them and break them down.

That's all folks! On to legs and feet - one day. We'll see how much time I get while being the working parent of 2 young children! Take care, and have a Merry Christmas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment