Inktober 2023 - Week 1

I'm finally doing it! I've watched Inktober come and go year after year and always thought, "gee, wouldn't it be great to partake in the challenge?" Life is busy, as many an adult knows, especially the parents, but I've decided it's finally the year to give it a shot. So far, so good. Some days are tougher than others to find the time, but putting my paper and pens in a high traffic area means I stop to do it sooner or later.


To make things a little easier I've limited the size of my Inktober drawings to the size of an index card - in fact, that's what I'm drawing on. Just using the back of a regular old index card. I've had a stack of them sitting in my desk for years - always with the intent that I could make little drawings on them. Inktober is the perfect time to do it. So have a gander and look forward to the next week - I'll do my best to keep up with the challenge.





And here's some of the thumbnails and sketches I did for each piece. One thing I feel I keep having a hard time figuring out is how to make a horizon not feel... empty. If you know what I mean? Like, I draw a horizon line, and then have to figure out how to make it more interesting than just a line, and also not have a million tiny details as more and more tiny objects stretch back to the horizon line. Anyone else ever feel that?



No comments:

Post a Comment